I don't want to miss it. That's my fear in a lot of aspects of my life.
Something that has been percolating in the back of my mind for over a week now is the amount of time we spend serving as opposed to alone, one on one, face time with God. The roots of our relationship so to speak. Serving is a good thing. It's also something that is easy to make the bulk of your spiritual life. But is that healthy? Shouldn't it be an out flow of our quiet times? Shouldn't that be our emphasis?
I remember a bible study from two years ago on the book of Haggai (or Habbakkuk? No I think Haggai...) and also about Mary and the alabaster box. "Consider your ways.." It stated over and over again, challenging us to not run and take care of our own house while His lies in ruins. The "drive it home" point of the bible study was to take inventory and really consider what we are spending our currency on. It was emphasized that time, as youth, is our most expensive and valuable currency. I listened to a podcast by Matt Chandler on generosity where he also touched on this and talked about how our checkbook tells the truth where all appearances lie. It reveals the true state of our heart. I think how we spend our time does that as well. I read this blog by Kate McDonald who was considering something her pastor said. He posed the question of what it would look like if we decided to tithe our time. Our first and best. Our most valuable currency. What truly reveals the state of our heart.
2 hours and 24 minutes with God a day. A little intimidating when figuring out how to manage that into an already overloaded scheduele. And does it involve serving? Because then it would be manageable. But what if it meant just face time, sitting at His feet? Then I'm back to intimidated. Excited and hopeful, but intimidated. What if it was face time? Undivided prayer time? Undivided praise? Being still? Time fully investing soley in your "interior life." The roots of your relationship with the Lord that others don't literally see. Sure they see it's results. The roots go deeper, the plant grows bigger.
But how often, if time is our indicator, do we put the weight of our christian life on service rather than face time? It is far easier to develop and spend time in service than in our interior life. Maybe because it's more visable. Maybe it feels good, costs less, and the results are faster or more obvious? Or maybe because it leaves less to question and leaves us less vulnerable.
Don't get me wrong, I think service is wonderful, intended, and biblical. What we are called to do. But I was considering the idea of tithing time when I found myself "consequently" reading the story of Mary and Martha and Jesus. I know the problem was the state of Martha's heart. But Jesus' words still are echoing in my heart, "She has chosen the good part."
I don't want to miss the good part. Or only invest in it a little. I really don't think service is where the weight of our relationship with the Lord should be. And I think that is most often the case. I think the good part might just be scooting up close at His feet, soaking up His words, and time with Him while it's available.
Not doing. Just recieving.
After a long conversation with my pops (another blog) one of the questions he asked was, "If you were to choose one thing to do that would have the most impact on your life and future, make one decision, commit to doing one thing, what would it be?" A few things popped into my head. But definitely the idea of tithing my time was first. It is not something I want to legalistically commit to as a fix-all-do-this-and-you'll-win solution. But if I were to spend that much time face to face with my Jesus letting Him quiet my heart and speak into my life and shed His light and sow His seeds and be plugged into Him as my Source? Yes, my life would change. My fears, character, disposition, time, relationships, investments, etc would change. Mostly because I don't think you can spend that much time with Him and not walk away different. I think it would not only have the most positive influence on my life, but also the one with the most longevity.
So what am I waiting for? Good question.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment