Monday, August 3, 2009

Serving Leftovers to a Holy God.

more to come on this I am sure...

I've been reading Crazy Love, by Francis Chan again. And considering the lukewarm thing a lot.

I like to think because I go to church, bible study, read my bible every day, tithe, and pray before meals and off and on when I remember, that means I am not lukewarm.

False.

Am I lukewarm in how I pray? Am I lukewarm in how I read my bible? Am I lukewarm in how I give? Am I lukewarm in how I serve and love?

Or am I passionately seeking His heart and face. Am I interceding like I realize what a powerful and effective weapon prayer is? Am I just covering my bases or am I truly giving with a joyful heart, loving others as I love myself, treating others with a humble meek spirit never forgetting my past. Not in a shaming myself way, but not forgetting the grace bestowed upon me and the incredible cost for that grace.

In the O.T. (I'll find the verse later and edit this...) there is a verse of God speaking through...Moses?...or some prophet to His people saying how furious He was because they offered the sick, lame, and unperfect as sacrifices and kept the best for themselves.

I do the same thing. On a daily basis. How does this not invoke fear in me while all the while I serve my leftovers to a Holy God and claim Christ. I need to quit pretending that my leftovers please and honor God because I sacrificed something. He doesn't want something. He hates something. He wants hot or cold. All or nothing.

So my mumbled prayers before meals, as I fall asleep, or am distracted in line. My quiet time that save for the end of the day. My devo's I give a handful of minutes at the start of the day. My spare change or what is left of my check at the end of the month that I tithe while mentally trying to run a list of what I have earned and spent and estimate a tenth...basically my diseased, sick, and lame offerings I throw at God's feet and think He is please because I followed the rules well and sacrificed something makes God want to spew me out of His mouth.

Go me, I make God want to hurl practically on a daily basis.

So now what? Do I get all excited because God spoke to me and revealed something? Or do i let this light He shed, these things in my life He touched, land on good soil, take root in my heart, take inventory of my life, and let it dwell richly in me and change me?

Being able to say I enjoyed something in the bible is not nearly as intimate or meaningful as when I let something touch me. Enjoying only goes so deep. Letting things touch and affect me goes straight to the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment