Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Facing the Giants

I took an Old Testament survey class this last semester. For part of the final, I had to study and know what seemed like every king and what they did that was important during their reign. It seemed like for most, it was what they didn't do that defined them most. A lot of them could have been great, but they weren't because they only followed God to a point. They listened to Him mostly. He promised His people the good land, it was His desire for them to have it. And if we grew up in Sunday school, we all know the stupid mistakes they made that drug out the process of them getting there. But when they finally did, he would bring them to giants, or immoral and corrupt cities that were dwelling in the land He had promised and purposed for them. It was their job to wipe out these cities and conqueror them. Most of the time, it was supposed to be done utterly and completely, leaving no trace behind. Many kings listened to these commands, partly. They would go in, fight, and conquer, but then grant mercy to a few. Or let some things remain. This seems nice, but all it ever did was influence God's people and continually turn their hearts away from Christ.

Wow. wow. WOW.

While studying this, I remember a footnote talking about how Christ is our good land. And the extent we go to to attain it, is the extent of our experience and relationship with Him.

Apathy and lack of diligence are the two cities or giants that He has brought me too. Now the ball is in my court to see what I will do. Am I going to listen to God mostly? Or will I completely, with reckless abandon? These are the first two giants I must battle and conquer to attain the good land. But if God is for me, who can be against me?

Deuteronomy 7:2 "and when the Lord you God delivers them over to you, you shall conquer them and utterly destroy them. You shall make no covenant with them nor show mercy to them."

Romans 8:37 " Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."
I can't just fight these guys and win. It is not enough. I have to do it through Him who loved me. I have to do it without mercy, making no covenants, leaving no trace behind. If I do, it will only allow my heart to be drawn away from the Lord, just like it did every time with the Kings and Israel back then. Times really don't change all that much i guess.

Here's to fighting those giants and conquering those cities without mercy, and claiming what Christ purposed for me. Does anybody else have giants or cities God has led them too?

No comments:

Post a Comment