Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring Break 2011

Spent the last five plus days with ten awesome Aggie/Texans and backpacked and camped through mountains in Arkansas. It took the first couple days to actually get to a point of rest and letting go and yeah. After that I felt like I could breathe for the first time in a while. And listen. And be. It was fabulous.

I loved being cut off for five days from everything but nature, my friends, and Jesus. It was almost a detox the first couple days. I loved pushing myself physically. Got the bruises, scrapes, and a million blisters to prove it. I loved the jokes and conversations. I loved camping. I loved pancakes and hot chocolate over a fire. Even washing my hair in a stream. Encouraging each other, helping each other, pushing each other. Loved all of it.

The best part was definitely my quiet times. Particularly at the end of the week. After everyone else had gone to bed I was able to sit by the camp fire with my head lamp and read and journal with the most beautiful stars and the sound of the wind in the trees and rushing water nearby. I prayed for a really long time. Not on a specific time frame. Not in a small window of time that screams, "Lord, speak NOW, with the small time I've given You before I rush off to what's next." Just pray. Like that psalm that talks about pouring out your heart before the Lord. That's what I did. I just prayed about everything I could think of. All the big things. All the different worries I had and decisions. People. Environments. Work. School. Community. Family. The list goes on. And I prayed about the Lord and His heart etc. And just sat. And listened. And then read in a couple different places. And I felt this peace and rest come over me. And my prayers changed. And my perspectives changed. And He spoke and moved and I heard Him and saw it and felt it. And He spoke to me. Clearly. And I just get to be with Him, ya know? I get HIM. Not "get Him" in an "I understand Him" sort of way. But rather a "He is my reward. I get to be with Him." The cross did that for me. And that's the beauty of the gospel. I don't get stuff. Or ease. Or whatever, fill in the blank. I get HIM. And He is enough.

Moral of the story....watched God's faithfulness a lot in my life this week. He worked a lot out so I could have that time. He moved a lot. He spoke. I needed it. And I loved what we did and who I got to do it with and it was a great spring break. But by far the best part is that I get Him. Loving it :) Thankful.

1 comment: