Monday, October 21, 2013

It's Only Monday

It's Monday. I've put off most of what I "needed" to do this weekend in exchange for fun and community and sleep. Monday finds me tired and underprepared. Regardless, the stories come pouring in from kids carrying loads I never wish they knew about.

"Ma'am....you just don't get it, if I leave...they'll get my family. But if I stay, it'll kill me. I didn't know what I was doing at 13...I don't know of a way out."

"Miss Hannah..." said through tears and downcast eyes,"Miss Hannah...they're making me go back to court. What if they don't let me stay here. What if they decide to try me as an adult and jail me for prostituting. I wasn't an adult! I don't ever want to leave here!"

"Miss Hannah...can we talk...I can't stop seeing his face. When they killed him...what do I do? It's bad. At night...it's all I see."

"Miss Hannah...I threw up again."

"Miss Hannah...it's been a year since it happened. Since he turned on me and sold me. I thought he loved me. And Miss Hannah........can I tell you something?....I'm so ashamed, but I still miss him. What does that say about me?"

I wish I could adopt half of my students. But, I'd need another six years, a whole lot more money, and a husband would probably help at some point.

I don't know what else to do but get to work early and sit in their seats and beg God to reach them and rescue them and do God sized miracles in their lives.

I'm realizing every day how critical it is to be healthy spiritually. To WALK in the Spirit and to have HIM be my daily bread. Otherwise, I have nothing of value to offer when the next, "Miss Hannah..." happens. And the opportunities can not be missed.

It's only October 21 of my first year teaching and relief parenting and my heart is long, long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment